Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 22, 2010

Dollar$ & $en$e – Reality… Check, Please…


Inspiration: April 2011… Growing Up… Financial Peace University

Finally, I have the time to write again.  Last week I was away from the office on training.  The training was New Employee Orientation.  Initially I assumed that this course would be boring, but in actuality, it has cause me to think of the next step in my life as it involves my career, my personal life… my relationship with God.
I work for an agency that supports its employees in an educational and professional environment.  The concern is that with that support comes the sacrifice of the huge check that I could get by going to another agency.  Working in the Federal Government is a game sometimes.  Either you find the right person so that you can kiss their butt to move up, or you keep it real with whom you are and get push off to the side… or you take the bull by the horns and plant out your path.  Of course then there’s the other option… to seek God and be obedient unto Him. 
I spoke with a couple friends of mines.  One feels that I could hold myself back by staying with this agency.  The other feels that I should weigh all options, be prepared and seek God on His direction.  I guess I’m concerned because the reality of homeownership is sinking in more and to comfortably handle this new pending expense, I must be willing to make some sacrifices, and make a few decisions that… well, won’t be popular… of course always weigh my options on this agency or another one. 
On top of the orientation, I also am looking at my cash flow plan… and the cash flow is plentiful until that mortgage hits lol.  But it’s good that I am looking at this.
1.        Knowing what I am working with. 
a.       Knowing that I get paid a certain amount a month let’s me know what I am working with.  My goal is to set up an account, once I close on the house, for mortgage, HOA, and utilities.  I believe I would like to have a buffer in this account, starting off with 500.00 and slowly work my way up to $1000 this time in 2011.  Now, that may seem really small, but I think if I start small then I can work my up slowly.
2.       I see areas when I can cut back.
a.       As I was working on my cash flow plan, I noticed there are some areas that I can cut back on or eliminate all together.  The goal here is to examine my checking account.  See where money is being spent on trivial things and redirect that money to important things such as charitable giving, emergency fund, and bills.
3.       Verizon wireless either will have to go or one person will have to come off.
a.       This has been more than just financial issue, but a heart issue.  I love my family… really I do.  And like most, want to be there for them.  And I thank God for that opportunity and thank Him for the opportunity to come again.  However, soon I won’t be in position to pay a $300.00 cell phone bill.  Therefore, I am going to have to weigh the cost; to end my account with Verizon wireless all together and go with some carrier inexpensive like Boost mobile or keep Verizon and get rid of one of the lines.  A part of me does feel bad; yet the book I am reading for financial peace asked the question, “Are you helping or enabling? If you are enabling, then you are hindering yourself and any other party that is connected.” 
4.       Really examine my budget monthly.
a.       This will not be an easy task, but I’m going to have to examine this budget monthly to make sure I stay to it.  Plan it out for each month and take it from there.  Sort of accountability self check.
Lastly, I realize that the first year will be challenging.  But also 2011 will be a year that I can definitely see a couple goals accomplished.  I believe that by the end of 2011, I will own my car officially lol… and that I will be credit card debt free… and my emergency fund will be in full effect.  But none of that will happen if I don’t do the following:
·         Seek God…
·         Be obedient to God...
·         Be proactive…
I believe that with a plan now, with God leading and me being obedient… I will make it.
Father God:
Thank You.  I am realizing now that as I embrace 30 years of life in April 2011, that You are challenging me to mature in my financial stability, but more so in spiritual stability.  Lord, I can not obtain any goals, if I don’t first give You my all.  I must increase my time with You God, through Your Word, prayer, and obedience unto You.  If I hold on, I know You will be there… but I must do my part in relationship with You as well.  I thank You God for the strength that You will supply me as I embark on this journey.  I know as long as You leading me, I must follow You in order to retain, Love, Joy, and Peace… Father God, for a moment I must be selfless and ask that You be with Your Children.  You know all of what we stand in need of.  You know our potential.  Help us to see what You see, so that we can be effective in this walk with You.
In Jesus Name… Amen
Day #22 down, 69 days to go and a lifetime of prosperity in God.

No comments: