Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dollar$ & $en$e – A Grip & A Budget… YIKES!!!

How about this… so off the break, I am being challenged by Financial Peace University.  A grip in da bank… a budget… WHERE DEY DO DAT @ LOL… This is slang… so.. a grip… a $1000… but seriously… I gotta do WHUT!  LOL…
In lesson#1 – Super Saving, I am learning of the Seven Baby Steps.  Basically it’s a PROCESS to get in debt and now it’s a PROCESS to get out of debt and a PROCESS to build wealth under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. 
I’ll start with step #1.  $1000 in an emergency fund.  Now initially this didn’t seem like a hard thing to do… SHOOT WHATEVA LOL.  This means I can’t get my bacon, egg, and cheese… no more caramel mocha with whip cream and extra caramel (I SWEAR I JUST HEARD SOMEBODY SHOUT HALLELUJAH… wait that was me lol).  I can’t do all that eating out like before… sigh… but the possible benefits will be well worth.  Furthermore, I can’t do all of that and think I’m going to swing a mortgage, utilities and so forth.  C’MON say with me… RE SPONNN SILLL BILLITY… yeah yeah…. Yeah.
But real talk it’s something that I should do.   In doing this, I get to face myself in another form.  Change my behavior as it relates to money.  Here are some points from class.
·         Saving must become a priority.
o   Is that right?  Yeap, saving must become a priority for us.  It’s a good habit to develop.  A lesson that can be passed on to your children.  Furthermore… you just never know when something unexpected comes up. Car breaks down… health scare… and countless things and events. 
·         You must pay yourself first.
o   Well, I think I would have said… first tithed unto God and then pay yo’ self foo.  Now let me be clear on that.  Pay yourself in the sense that you are putting up funds for a “rainy day”.  This flows back to the first point… SAVINGS MUST BECOME A PRIORITY…
·         Give, save, and then pay bills.
o   Yea, that’s right… pay yo’ tithes… save… then pay yo bills!!!  When it comes to the tithes… you know what God has laid on your heart to give… you know what He has done in your life, so you give according to how important the relationship is with God… If it’s top priority then you give cheerfully, if not, then pray to God for there could be something there that could be holding you back from a wonderful relationship with Him. 
·         Saving money is about emotion and contentment.
o   I look at this and think; well it would put me at ease if I know I had a cushion in case extreme events occurred.  The feeling that I am covered does help to keep the stress level down.  Almost feels like another insurance policy.
·         Building wealth is not evil or wrong.  Money is amoral.
o   Building wealth is a good thing.  So long as you are doing under the guidance of God.  And if you are, think of the countless people that you could potentially bless.  And the best thing is as you pour out… God will pour into you.  Here’s another thought… money is NOT a person and yet we say “money is the root of all evil…”  UMMM BAMA, that ain’t biblical… 1Tim 6:10 says the LOVE of money is the root of all evil… so if you choose to love money more than God… then you fittin’ to open yourself up to everything you don’t need in your life. 
·         “The only difference in saving and hoarding is attitude.” – Larry Burkett
o   Now it’s okay to have a few things store for a rainy day, but I think it’s a bit odd when you have multiple items that clearly will not be used.  Taking it to a money thing… why you being so stingy with the money?  Remember God gave it to you and if He wants to, He will take it away.  So if he says be generous… just be obedient.
Yes folks a mouthful all in the first class… but valuable information that definitely has me thinking.  And so… by November 30th I plan to have an emergency fund set up with $1000 in the bank.  I’m taking baby steps within the baby steps lol. 
Ight I think that’s enough of Dollar$ & $en$e for today… the next step deals with “3 to 6 Months of Expenses in Savings…. Wow.  How Biggie Smalls say it… wanna stick me fo’ my papers lol…
P.S. Oh yeah and I can’t forget the BUDGET… oh this will be fun LOL…
Father God:
Thank You for Your Sense of Humor lol… it definitely helps to usher in a peaceful day.  Lord… I know I can do this with You leading.  A challenge, but with You all things are possible… I claim it in Your Name…
AMEN!
THOUGHT:  “One definition of maturity is learning to delay pleasure.  Children do what feels good; adults devise a plan and follow it.”  - Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University Workbook
And with that said make sure the plan is God’s plan…
Day #4 down… 87 days to go and a lifetime of prosperity in God...

No comments: