Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dollar$ & $en$e – Being Single with Singles…

Well, I made through class #2.  So far… all is good.  The most exciting thing from class #2 were the testimonies that others were starting their emergency funds and excited about actually saving money.  Praise God!!!  Today, I was thinking… how should I?  And then it hit me.  

In this 13-week course, we will cover 91 days which get us on the right track to ending debt and building wealth… and so, since we have 91 days, I’ve decided for each day, I will set aside $10.00 to a special account.  When I think of it, I can easily spend 10 bucks on coffee, food at work and so forth.  It would always bother me that I would look at my checking account and wonder, where that extra $200 go?  Well, prayfully by the end of class, I will be at a little over 900 dollars into my emergency fund…  

Which means the following will NOT be allow:

1.       Caramel Mochas… (I won’t go into details… sigh)
2.       My usual doughnut with the caramel mocha (NOT FAIR!!!!!!)
3.       The happy hours with my friends (well at least for a while, until I get the priorities straight)
4.       Eating out (WAIT… NO FAMOUS DAVES… NO MORE OF THE SWEET POTATOES WITH CINNAMON from Longhorn… NO LASANGA FROM BUCA’s... Lord, I guess this begins one of the fruits of the spirit… LONGsuffering LOL!!!)
5.       Shopping (not a major issue until the holidays)

Yes, I am foregoing my wants for an investment people… you should try it too… I dare you… go for 7 days without eating out… or a month without shopping… or try going 30 days with saving $5/day.  Think of the goals you will achieve… 

Nonetheless, class #2 dealt with “Relating With Money”.  It touched on money in the marriage and money and kids.  However, there’s one subject that relates to me… Singles & Money… The book shares 3 points and a fourth point, I’ll speak on in another entry…

·         Time poverty and fatigue can lead to poor money management. Okay that stings, but very true.  This is a rule of thumb that could be applied across the board, definitely with money.  How many opportunities did I miss before to better my credit simply because I would pay the bills?  I can recall in 2003 when I had two credit cards with CITIBANK( OF WHOM I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH AGAIN!) with a combine credit debt of $3000.  Doesn’t seem like a lot, but tell that to a 22 year old fresh out of college with no driver’s license, and oh yeah,  a student loan.  But because I didn’t make a better effort then to pay the credit cards, they got sent to collections and it was big ole’ mess.  But thankfully almost 8 years later, I’ve learned… PAY YO BILLS ON TIME FOO!

·         Beware of impulse buying, which can be brought on by stress or even by the “I owe it to myself” syndrome.  How many of us have been here?  Just gotta have it.  Especially if the emotions are all over the place.  Knowing that later on, you will regret it.  Here’s a thought… I have a job that at times can be a bit stressful… so instead of going to the mall or out to eat… I decided to spend my money on a fairly inexpensive gym membership.  And so, I manage my stress via the gym, which helps to keep the excessive spending down some.  Granted I still gotta few lessons to learn, but with God leading… I’m going to make it.

·         A written plan gives the single person empowerment, self-accountability, and control.  And this is why I will make it… a written plan.  Granted this is so hard to do, because basically you have to be honest and real with yourself.  For a good part of my finances, I know when something is worth buying and something is not.  Yet those rules will go out the window.  But if I commit to a pen and paper… or in this case… Microsoft Word and save… then I just might think twice, because I decide on that White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha… (OK, SO MAYBE I SHOULD GET SOME STOCK IN STARBUCKS… MAYBE I NEED AN INTERVENTION… LOL.)  

And they say being single is easy… Hmmmm… well… lol.  Seriously, I don’t envy the married folks.  A beautiful institution, and for some reason… I have a feeling that the Lord will be pulling me on this in time.  But being single can be a challenge that isn’t always recognized.  I mean it’s me and I get to control how my money is managed… not a bad jig.. But even with the single life… still lies responsibilities that will lead into a marriage.  So those responsibilities might as well be healthy and God fearing…

THOUGHT:  “Accountability and support are the ladders that lift us up from life’s pits.” – Financial Peace University (Workbook).  To all my single people, let’s challenge ourselves to watch our pennies a bit more.  Take a challenge with me… be it’s give up Starbucks for a week… or bringing in your lunch, or using cash to make purchases versus the credit card.  Know that in every challenge you face… you can conquer… Just trust in Him…


Day #9 down… 82 days to go and a lifetime of prosperity in God…

No comments: